My name is Gabrielle. I began to self-injure at age fifteen and continued to do so for fifteen years. I recently relapsed but am attempting a year without self-harm. This website was made to let self-injurers know that they are not alone and to help their friends and family learn more about self-injury and how it affects their loved one.
This is a community but there is an extensive FAQ about self-injury and a detailed series of pages about recovery from self-injury. There is also an pretty large list of resources for self-injurers. There is a detailed list of where self-injury appears in the media, be it movies, celebrities, music. It is both to show how self-injury affects media and has moved into the creative social conscious and as a trigger warning for those avoiding depictions of self-injury.
Feel free to browse and, if you’d like to blog or exchange status updates or otherwise become a part of the community, register!
Have a safe and happy holiday season!
I know the holidays can be hard so feel free to check out the list of crisis lines or list of suicide helplines.
Take care of yourselves. I’ll be around.
I am a doctoral student in the clinical psychology program at the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology. I am conducting a research study to understand what it is like for people who purposely harm themselves, such as cutting or burning. My goal is to increase understanding about the life course of intentional self-injury so that treatments can be improved for those who wish to reduce or stop this behavior.
We are a Harvard University research team currently working on a study looking at people who harm themselves. The primary goal of the study is to better understand what kinds of thoughts and feelings motivate these behaviors.
We are interested in recruiting people who use this website and have attempted suicide in the past to participate in our research study. Participation is completely voluntary. Please note that this is a different study than the one we have advertised in the past. It is open to people in any country.
Hello, I’ve been working on the site again in the past week or few after a little much-needed break.
- You can now subscribe to all statuses and/or status comments via the Edit My Notifications link. If you subscribe you will get an e-mail or private message of new statuses and/or status comments (aside from your own). How often it messages you is controlled in Edit My Notifications so you could subscribe to a digest (1 e-mail a day, 1 e-mail a week, every 12h) or individually.
- A number of bugfixes on subscriptions that weren’t apparent when it was just me and a test account. If you subscribed via private message and were getting two this should fix that.
- I’m working towards getting support on fixing the chat box that used to be visible on the site. Will be contacting the company that sold it to me because it doesn’t seem anything I’m doing wrong. Might be a bit because of the upcoming holiday.
- I’m slowly converting the site to display content in a different (and much better) way where you have a number of options to filter or sort in the sidebar instead of just by title or date. For example, you could filter content by how many stars its been given or what year it was posted, and then filter down even further if you choose to do so.
- Galleries have been revamped. The new-old system was too buggy. Now you should be able to bulk upload images, upload via a link to your image, and/or copy & paste an image (this last one only available on certain browsers). I’ve also placed links to My Galleries and to Add Pictures in the pink menu bar.
- Creativity has been revamped. Now clicking the link will instantly show you the latest content plus links for different types of creative work (e.g. poetry). This also has the new filter and/or sort system.
Source URL: https://self-injury.net/node